Disclaimer: This is not your ordinary vegetable casserole. Use of this recipe will result in unintended love for all things green. Approach with caution.
This lean, mean, & super green veggie casserole is the perfect recipe for just about everyone. It’s a great option for:
- Keto/ low carb/ gluten free diets
- Vegan/ plant-based diets (substitutions listed after cooking instructions)
- Meal preppers – one casserole can be sliced up for 4-6 meals
Veggie Casserole Ingredients
- 6 eggs
- 2-3 cups broccoli
- 10 oz spinach
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- Your favorite salt/sugar free vegetable seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup sliced yellow onion (onion flakes work fine too)
- ½ cup low fat shredded cheese
Preppin’ your vegetables
- Combine 4 whole eggs and 2 egg whites. Whip & add your favorite vegetable seasoning to taste (I used up to 1 ½ tablespoons, depending on the seasoning)
- Steam the broccoli for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Set aside 2-3 handfuls of spinach.
- Sautee remaining spinach over medium heat, using a skillet and olive oil.
- Spray a large casserole dish with your favorite non-stick cooking spray.
- Allow both steamed broccoli and sautéed spinach to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once cool, slice steamed broccoli into small 1-2” pieces.
Cooking your casserole
- Grab that spinach you set aside, and spread it over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Lightly sprinkle about ¼ cup shredded cheese on top of the spinach.
- Spread all broccoli pieces over the cheese.
- Top the broccoli with all of the sautéed spinach, covering evenly.
- Grab your egg-and-seasoning mix, and whip it up a little to make sure the seasoning is distributed well.
- Evenly pour the egg mix over the casserole.
- Use a pair of thongs (or a fork) to gentle shake the veggies from side to side, helping the egg mix to seep in.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Add chia and hemp seeds.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until egg is cooked through.
- When finished, allow to cool.
- Slice & serve, baby!
Go Plant-Based: Turn this recipe into a vegan/ dairy free vegetable casserole
Use the following substitutions to make this recipe vegan & dairy free:
- Eggs – Use 1 ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce.
- Cheese – Omit, or sub with a melty vegan cheese (So Delicious makes a few good options)
- Extra greens—if you know your way around the produce aisle, feel free to mix spinach with other soft greens like Swiss chard, collard greens, etc.
That’s it. Follow the directions above using these substitutions, and your casserole will be totally plant based!
More Good Stuff
Check out more weight loss recipes on Yogi Panda.
And if you dig this recipe, you’ll love our Online Nutrition Coaching program!